The Ragged School Museum once formed the largest 'ragged' school in London and is house in 3 canal side buildings.
Thomas Barnardo came to London in 1866 at a time when a cholera epidemic swept through the overcrowded parts of the East End. Some 3,000 people lost their lives or were left destitute. Seeing this he gave up his medical training to help in the community and opened his first 'ragged school' in Hopes Lane before opening Barnardoes Copperfield Road Free School (now the museum buildings) 10 years later.
WATCH: a short movie introduction
Website Created By
COPYRIGHT: Except where otherwise stated all works are licensed under:
Creative Commons and the double C in a circle are registered trademarks of Creative Commons in the United States and other countries.
Third party marks and brands are the property of their respective holders.